Pickup Soccer
In the last 6 months, we have seen the changing of the Peace Corps Country Director and the Program Director (who, along with Jen, make up the 3 American directors at the Peace Corps offices). Parmer, the Country Director, comes from his most recent post in Ecuador and is joined by his Ecuadorean husband, Aquiles. The new Program Director, Dawn, comes with her Pategonian husband Jo Jo and their two kids ages 4 and 11. We would have socialized with them anyway, but the friendship has been accelerated because Aquiles, Jo Jo, Dawn and I all have been going out to the bi-weekly pickup soccer games on the embassy field. The pickup games are casual, though things do get competitive once the ball is rolling. About 75% are Peruvian staff of the embassy, the rest a hodge-podge of Americans and international spouses. For me it has been a great outlet, so I keep going back despite being a big, old gringo who hasn't played soccer since he was 14-years old. I compensate by throwing my size around and trying to foresee the geometry of things and be a gadfly to even the best opposing players.
Aquiles brings his Ecuadorean passion to the game, Jo Jo is serene, always accompanied by his leather-bound terere jug. Paraguayans are known for carrying around this form of iced-tea (a jug of iced water that gets poured repeatedly into a metallic cup of herbs and sipped through a metal straw). Back when we first arrived in Perú, Jen and I realized we were not particularly interested in the embassy social scene. The soccer, however, has been one of my few avenues to connect socially with Peruvians and now when I go to the embassy on errands, I am greeted personally by security guards and gardeners and men in suits I've met playing on the field.
The Ambassador's Residence
Tuesday evening we attended "Jazz Night" at the ambassador's residence, a mansion on the other side of town from the actual embassy, picking up both Parmer and Dawn. Attendance was not obligatory, but everyone seemed to agree that it was best to go despite none feeling particularly so inclined. I have never understood pure jazz, so I was anticipating a slow night. Along with so many others, the position of Ambassador to Perú sits empty because of politics in Washington, but the residence continues to sit squarely in the middle of Lima and periodically host events. Carter and I had been a couple weeks previously for the Easter Egg Hunt (at which Carter and several kids stumbled upon an actual fallen egg, broken open, with a not-ready-for-prime-time baby bird struggling pathetically…the kids seemed to take it in stride though). This night, a hundred chairs had been set out in a grid, turning the jazz experience into something more like going to the symphony. Too bad, too, because the first band turned out to be a little more interesting than I thought: a jazz quintet, but playing a fusion with Andes traditional huayno music and the singer doing most of it in quechua, the language of the Andes. Huayno is foot-stomping music and, if we had been in a small smoky joint, we would have danced. Particularly surreal was the quechua version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
Leif Erickson
Carter spent the last couple weeks getting prepared for his presentation on Leif Erickson, the Viking explorer who landed in North America 500 years before Columbus. He and his classmates all stood at separate stations, dressed as their subjects, delivering short oral presentations to each new set of parents who came up. The kids did great: Einstein, Earhardt, Sacagawea, Franklin, even Jim Henson. For many of the kids, English is not their first language, but they were troopers. One girl ("Clara Barton") even stopped her presentation to explain to us that "ill means sick". Meanwhile Carter in his Viking beard, stationed right in front of Columbus, was finishing each of his speeches by pointing backwards and saying "And the thing is, I discovered America before HE did!"Peace Corps Soccer
Emma's Baptism
| Julito is a ham just like Carter. |
Festival de los 7 Mares
It's not really like Carter to suggest something like that, so we decided we ought to do it. After the baptism, got tickets and got ourselves there. The festival was held at a park in central Lima, and I was surprised to find easy parking. As with almost all parking near anything significant, a guy had taken it upon himself to watch all the cars, for a tip at the end. Out in front of the gates to the park was a strange gathering of around 50 people trading World Cup 2014 player trading cards (I have seen these before recently, they are actually stickers and people try to collect all the players to fill up a special sticker book they have). How did this corner come to be the underground place for sticker trading? We went inside and put up our chairs and, over the next 4 hours, were treated to 4 very different bands, from caribbean rock to Peruvian creole to Peruvian rap. Good idea, Carter!
Another Day at the Hogar
| Edilberto, horsing around with my sunglasses. |
No comments:
Post a Comment