![]() |
| (just a sample image from google) |
My destination was my 4th (5th?) failure to get a cel phone. At least this time my Spanish was sufficient enough to figure out exactly what documents I am lacking.
Later, I was in the local fresh market where we have gotten vegetables and meat from the various stalls. It's like an open air market, except that it has a roof and from outside you would just think you are looking at a regular building. Go in, though, and suddenly there's a bustle of vendors and shoppers. Fresh fish comes here daily, and I decided to finally try the little ceviche stand that is adjacent to the fish purveyors. I think the stand is run by someone who has a cevicheria somewhere in town. Anyway, it was time to give it a try.
I arrived at the prime ceviche hour, 1pm, and the stall was surrounded by people 3 rows deep. Up close are those lucky enough to have a stool. Several others stand happily eating their ceviche. Find the lady roaming about, give her $6 for a regular ceviche and an extra 40-cents if you want a cup of very nice chicha, and wait for your number to be called. In the stall, there is a main man who has the big bowl. He dishes out the ceviche until the bowl is empty, then quickly stacks the bowl with the ideal ratio of ingredients: raw fish, lime juice, slivered red onion, minced red chili. There is a guy in the stall who is squeezing limes fast enough that the juice bowl is always ready. A woman backs them up, and ladles up chicha (sweet purple corn drink) from a tub. The ceviche is served stacked high, with choclo (large Andean corn), a slice of sweet potato, and cancha (corn nuts) on the side. I mimiced those around me, using the metal spork to mix the corn nuts into the extra juice. AMAZINGLY FRESH, PLENTIFUL AND TASTY. One guy down the counter finished and immediately ordered another helping. By the time I was finished, at 1:30, business was starting to ebb. LimeƱos do not normally eat ceviche much past 2pm because they like their fish fresh.
Here's a top-down view I made with Carter's crayons:


The description of the combi ride has many similarities to and several distinctions from using a chiva in La Paz. The being packed shoulder to shoulder is the biggest similarity. The difference: there were routes and you knew where to get on, just like any other bus route. The Lima system sounds ingenious.
ReplyDeleteThe ceviche snobbery is wonderful. No fish after 2. Makes sense. You're perfectly fitted to be in a foreign culture. I am loving the reports.