My Spanish: I need to get much better. Picture me going in to the cel carrier store to try and get myself a cel phone. They don't speak English, and my stuttering search for words like "synchronize" or "data limits" would be funny except that I want a phone. I can muddle through and make myself understood, they are patient, and in the end I understand that they are telling me I can't get service until I have my Peruvian ID. At this point, in the States, I would push back on the bureaucracy by asking some creative questions. But I don't have the words for it. Buying carrots is easy.
Intersections: Since this is a well-to-do neighborhood, each of the major intersections usually has someone busking in the traffic during the red lights. The lights have timers, so the performers know exactly how long they have to do their mini show. They are usually teenage boys, but not always. Juggling while standing on a friend’s shoulders, juggling flaming torches, breakdancing, acrobatics...all things I've seen driving around. Sometimes they are really impressive. Yesterday, at a very minor intersection, we saw a 10yr old girl juggling only 2 balls. I suppose that's considered the minor leagues. Of course, seeing this kind of thing highlights the distressing chasm between rich and poor, but it also reflects ingenuity and persistence.
No comments:
Post a Comment