Carter went to the zoo today with his "camp", though by his count there were only 7 things to see, but not the llamas he wanted to see. I guess they're not considered exotic here. While he was doing that, I mustered the courage to mime my way through a haircut. That's not totally accurate, my spanish is not good and I don't know verbs, but I can string together some basic ideas. For instance, when the barber told me his name was Ismael, I said "Ah, 'Ismael' como el maninero famoso" while making harpoon gestures.
In the afternoon, Carter and I went out to a local park. The big, bustling, noisy boulevards are misleading...after we cut off the main drag, we quickly entered a quiet neighborhood situated around a manicured park. I suppose it's similar to visitors who judge Los Angeles from what they see from the main arteries, missing the fact that the urban sprawl is a collection of places that can't be judged as a whole. Carter taught me Uno (he laughed and laughed when I pointed out that we were playing a game in spanish). Then we played frisbee.
I think the frisbee was spinning the wrong way. What a weird hemisphere.
I want to know what really happened at the barber. But I also want you to know I haven't laughed this hard in weeks!
ReplyDelete