Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Jen's First Lunch (from a week ago)

From an email Jen sent some friends:
Ok.  To all you foodies out there, peru's reputation for their fantastic food does not disappoint.  I was taken out to lunch for a typical Peruvian meal for my first day and behold...center is ceviche.  Seriously the best I have ever had.  The red and yellow dishes are another type of ceviche in different sauces, the red one slightly spicy.  That's octopus on the left, and it was marinated in garlic and served with tomato and avocado...delish!  You can't really see how big the corn kernels are but they are large.  I was informed that no one eats fish for dinner because it is all caught in the morning and would not be fresh enough to eat after 2pm.  This restaurant isn't even open for dinner.  I got to go by the office today to get a lay of the land while no ones around.  It is nice, peace corps budgets considering.  My office, and actually my department, is in a separate bldg from everyone else but it's all right there, just technically not attached.  My office is somewhat utilitarian but has a nice corner window with good light.  I think the phone is from 1985 and there is seriously a typewriter in one of the cubicles.  Living a non-corporate life without resources is going to be interesting.  The city from what I've seen is indeed just a never ending strip of 3rd worldly cement buildings surrounded by mountainous hills of dirt and assorted rubble, but if you look closer at the buildings you see they are occupied by some chic boutiques and restaurants.  I'm looking forward to discovering gems like this lunch place.  Chau for now!  (p.s.  for the record I know that chau is actually pelted ciao in its native Italy but Peruvians have cooped it as their own sign off and spell it phonetically for them!  My first conformity to social norms...next up, driving like Peruvian!)


No comments:

Post a Comment