Saturday, July 21, 2012

One Week


 After picking up Carter from his last day of "camp" on Friday, we went took a walk from the hotel and found the local market stalls. Jen had asked about this because the supermercados (supermarkets)  tend to be more expensive, but we had not found it yet. I was able to get some great fruit at a produce stall from a very friendly lady.

I was also able to learn something about being careful at these kinds of places...the stall selling cheap Chinese toys sold me a plastic golf set (Carter has no toys at the hotel) but back at the hotel when it was opened, it became clear that they had packaged up a pre-used broken set. On the same outing we went to the supermercado and found, by chance, a Taekwondo dojo...one of the 3 certified internationally. Perhaps we will be able to enroll Carter there.

Here's a photo from that intersection:

In the late afternoon, Carter and I walked over to a hotel closer to the Peace Corps HQ for a little going-away party for the woman who covered Jen's position until Jen got there. This woman is a floater for Peace Corps, going for a month here, a month there...she returns to South America in 2 weeks for Paraguay. It was the chance for Carter and I to meet the Peace Corps crew, who were all very nice. More on them as I get to know them better.

Then we stopped at Pardos Chicken for dinner and I had a salad that was blanched beets, carrots, beans and avacado...simple, fresh and very tasty. Cuisine here is going to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment